Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wild Wadi Water Park!

I couldn’t tell you the last time I went to a water park. They’re always a lot of fun! So we decided we’d visit the park while we were here. It was fairly close, about the same distance as the mall and right on the coast. It’s right next to the seven star hotel, Burj Al Arab, on Jumeirah Beach. We went on a few rides/slides during our 3-4 hour visit. One like the one at Wet ‘n Wild or whatever it’s called, that goes up really high. They also had a lazy river that was super relaxing. We also played around in a wave pool that is surprisingly tiring. For it being 110 outside there sure were a lot of people there! As the afternoon wore on, it got more and more crowded and the lines got too long. Before we left Derek tried the fake wave thing where you could try to do some kind of surfing. I took a picture of Derek’s attempt- and by attempt I mean complete wipe out. He fell off so quickly that I didn’t even have enough time to take a picture of him on the board! Lol We ended the day with some awesome ice-cream!

In case you were wondering how people in a Muslim country would dress at a water park, they make swimsuits that look like their black dress. It’s an outfit that includes pants, long sleeves, and a covering for your neck and head (it kind of looks like a ski mask). I’m not sure how it works but I find it amusing that the guys that are with the women covered head to toe are in Speedos. I definitely saw more scandalous guy’s swimsuits then I did girls. The whole day I tried to convince Derek that he should get one of the itty bitty bathing suits, but he wasn’t having any of it! Haha hilarious mental picture!

After the water park we took our first trip to the “real” grocery store. It was a fantastic experience to find real food! There are some brand names that you find in the US but overall it’s a lot of local stuff. The best part was the bread that is hand made everyday. I’ve found that most things are about the same price as they would be in any big metropolitan city, but I do think that most of the food was a little more expensive. After the store we came home and went right to bed- being in the sun totally wears me out!

No comments: